birding-aus

Rock Doves

To: "" <>
Subject: Rock Doves
From: Jennifer Spry <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:53:24 +1000
Hi all,

We have just got back from our trip to Alice Springs and had a wonderful
time. My thanks to everyone who responded to my RFI. The birding turned
out to be very hard as for all the trip up and most of our time in Alice
we had rain (in Victoria and SA) and strong easterly winds (all the
way). I will do a better report later to give an idea of what we saw.

This email, however, concerns the Rock Doves in the Hawker to Burra
region of SA.

After seeing Rock Doves in England and the Canary Islands area, and also
the feral/cross ones around the various cities I have visited, the Doves
in the Hawker/Burra region look to be close to pure "Columba Livia". The
colouring and wing bars are correct as is the white rump. They were also
well away from any town and seemed to be living in small flocks in farm
land.

Does anyone know where Rock Doves were first released in Australia? Also
could these birds be remnants of the original stock or perhaps just
isolated enough to have reverted? HANZAB suggests though that only
"feral domestic" birds were introduced. Which ever, having seen these
apparently more true to type birds, I am now happier to have Rock Dove
on my Aust list than when it was just from the local street variety.

regards

Jen