birding-aus

Re: Ground Parrot possible at Little Desert?

To: Vin Lam <>
Subject: Re: Ground Parrot possible at Little Desert?
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:23:02 +1000

Hi Vin.

Since no one else has, i've just got to say it:  Night Parrot???  : )

I've never heard a Night Parrot call,  but i assume it wouldn't be too different from a Ground Parrots call?

The Little Desert isn't totally out of the realms of possibility either.

Which leads me to the question;  Has a Night Parrot survey ever been conducted in North West Victoria. Parts of Wyperfeld and Murray-Sunsey National Park seem like pretty good habitat??? I think one has been recorded in Wyperfeldin the early 90's?

Peter

Vin Lam <>
Sent by:

23/09/2004 10:51 AM

cc
Subject
Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Re: Ground Parrot possible at Little Desert?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:19:44AM +1000, wrote:
> "Just played a recording of the TE. I'm not convinced."
>
> Several things to consider.  Where was the Tawny-crowned HE call recorded?
>  In what context?
>
> Many bird species have an amazing array of calls and, invariably, it is
> not possible to have all of these on a single tape.  Just about every
> commercially available recording I've heard of a Regent Honeyeater, for
> example, I regard as not typical of the species.  This may be because I'm
> more accustomed to the central NSW population (the northern NSW and
> Victorian birds have somewhat different calls) or because there may be a
> tendency to reproduce "interesting" calls.
>
> Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the call you heard may been a
> Tawny-crowned Honeyeater but the recording you are referring to may not
> exactly replicate what you heard.  The final point is that it is extremely
> unlikely that Ground Parrots occur at Little Desert, which I think was the
> question posed in the first place.

Hi,

Just did a web search and found this one:
http://www.listeningearth.com.au/audio/tawny_crowns.mp3 (its 900kb)

I think its close to this, so just I'll leave it as TC Honeyeater,
since I saw a a fair few of them at around the same time. It was
raising more with more breaks between, but its close enough.

Regards,
Vin.