birding-aus

1922 book by A.H. Chisholm

To: Peter Woodall <>
Subject: 1922 book by A.H. Chisholm
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:05:25 +1000
Peter,

A few more items, pretty much grabbed at random, about Alec Chisholm.

I guess you have plenty of photos, should your Queensland Naturalist short biographies run to photos.   A favourite of mine shows him reclining at ease on the lawn at O'Reilly's (Lamington NP) with a Crimson Rosella feeding from his hand.  Also in the photo, is Heinz Sielmann, a German naturalist, author of the book "My Year with the Woodpeckers" about  the making of his remarkable Woodpecker film.  (The book was first published in Germany in 1958; in English translation in 1959, publishers Barrie & Rockliff, London.)

Alec Chisholm was Editor in Chief for the Angus & Robertson ten-volume Australian Encyclopaedia published in 1958.  He also contributed many of the natural history entries in it.  In the list of contributors, he's shown as

Alexander Hugh Chisholm, C.M.Z.S., C.F.A.O.U., journalist and naturalist; Author of Strange New World, etc.;  Editor in Chief, The Australian Encyclopaedia.

The publisher's blurb on the dust jacket of The Romance of the Lyrebird (Angus & Robertson, 1960) reads:

Alec Chisholm has had a distinguished career in journalism and book publishing; his name is also a noted one in the field of natural history, and his interest in historical writing and research is recognised in his election to the position of President of the Royal Australian Historical Society.  Editor-in-Chief of the ten-volume edition of The  Australian Encyclopaedia, Mr Chisholm was awarded, in the 1958 Queen's Birthday Honours, the O.B.E. "in recognition of his contribution to Australian literature and natural history".

As a journalist he has been editor of the Melbourne Argus, editor of Who's Who in Australia, and honorary editor of various journals of natural history.  In 1940 he was awarded the Australian Natural History Medallion.  He holds other honours from scientific societies and was formerly President of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union, the Naturalists Club of Queensland, and Field Naturalists Club of Victoria.  He has published Bird Wonders of Australia and other bird books.  His Strange New World, which dealt with naturalist John Gilbert and Ludwig Leichhardt, she new light on the history of Australian exploration; and in The Making of the Sentimental Bloke he presented the remarkable career of C. J. Dennis.

Chisholm was on the staff of The Sun in Sydney before going to Melbourne in 1933 to take over the  Nature Columns that previously had been in charge of Donald Macdonald who had died.   However his journalistic career started in Brisbane - on The Courier, I think, in the days before it and the Daily Mail amalgamated to form The Courier-Mail.

The Oxford University Press put out a series of booklets about "Great Australians".  Chisholm wrote the one about Ferdinand von Mueller (in 1962).

Chisholm was active up to the time of his death in the late '70s.  He was then living in Cremorne in Sydney.

Syd Curtis