birding-aus

1922 book

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: 1922 book
From: "Gary Blond" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:27:23 +1000
" It is a good thing that Australians, during recent years, have taken a vastly increased interest both in the flora and in the birds of their native land. So far as the birds are concerned, this book will do much to stimulate that interest. Here is a human story, and an entertaining story, written by one who has an accurate knowledge of his subject.

For these reasons, and for the sake of our mates the birds, it is recommended not alone to bird lovers, but to every Australian who has taken an interest in birds. And how many amongst us have listened to the mellow fluting of the grey thrush at eve, or the wild, free piping of magpies at morn, and have remained unmoved? "

Great sentiments taken from a section of an introduction written by C.J.Dennis ( "the Sentimental Bloke" ) to a book titled " Mateship with Birds " written by A.H. Chisholm in 1922.

I picked up a copy of this wonderful little hardback book this week for a reasonable price at a second-hand bookstore in Brisbane. Does anyone have a copy of it or seen it before?

Chisholm is credited in the book as being " Past President Queensland Gould League of Birdlovers, Past President Queensland Naturalists Club, State Hon. Secretary Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union, Co-Editor Queensland Naturalist, etc."

It's written in a very readable and enjoyable style and contains some great black and white plates.
I'ts just under two hundred pages and is broken into two parts. Part 1 is " A Pageant of Spring " and Part 2 is " Biographies of Birdland ". Chapte 11 is titled " the Paradise Parrot Tragedy ". It appears to me to be a first edition of 1922.

I think that I've picked up a real bargain!

Would love to know a bit more about it and the author.

Any information available?

Gary Blond  :>)