birding-aus

Rosy Starling

To: <>
Subject: Rosy Starling
From: Kevin Vang <>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:02:33 +1000
Dear Aus-Birders

The Rosy Starling is proving quite popular.  The picture on my website has
already had 1,735 hits from 21 countries. I believe this is a record for any
single image I have ever put up.

The debate is quite interesting too.  Rohan, your analysis is as good as
your pictures which are always incredible!!  I have sent the photo and some
of these emails to Craig Robson as he will have records in Asia of where
they have turned up this winter.  Rosy Starlings are irruptive, so maybe
there will be some trends out there.  Apparently in 2000 several were
sighted in Central Thailand as far south as Bang Poo.  In that irruption,
the birds noted were almost always associated with larger flocks of Asian
Pied Starlings.  So Rohan's comments about bird associations here are
important and interesting.

Also a discovery of one a few years ago in Japan, kicked off the same
"escapee, wild" debate that we are now having here with it ultimately being
assessed as wild.

For anyone who hasn't seen my previous email, you can find the image of the
starling at:

www.birdquest.net
>>Breaking News
>>Rosy Starling

We have also put up many more images of desert birds in the last week for
Queensland, South Australia and New South Wales which can be found at:

www.birdquest.net
>>Photo Galleries
>>Australia

Two people brought it to my attention that people using a certain
configuration of Norton Protection Software are unable to view the photos.
I have contacted the company whose site houses our photos, and they say that
it is a particular bug in 1 of Norton software configurations, and they
suggest fixing the configuration.  So if you are unable to view them, sorry,
blame Norton, not us.

I will post more if I get any news from Craig.

Thanks
Kevin and Woj