birding-aus

Citrine Wagtail ?splits? distribution & occurrence in OZ

To: John Penhallurick <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Citrine Wagtail ?splits? distribution & occurrence in OZ
From: Mike Carter <>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:12:44 +0000
Firstly, the distribution and systematics (taxonomy) of these wagtails is
fully detailed in the Helm ID Guide 'Pipits & Wagtails of Europe, Asia & N.
America' by Alstrom & Mild.

Regarding Oz occurrences the first record near Sydney was published by
Arnold McGill (1963), Emu 63: 66-71. I have misplaced my copy but think it
was an adult male so the taxon should be able to be resolved and I think it
was M. citreola citreola as one might expect. I'd be grateful if someone
could check the reference and advise. Only breeding adult males are
distinguishable, citreola having a grey back whilst M. c. calcarata has a
black back. The S.A. Goolwa bird was an adult breeding female so subspecies
not determined. I was the only one to photograph that bird. Some of my
pictures were published with the brief write-up in the SA Ornithologist and
elsewhere but unfortunately, I can't find or remember exactly where
elsewhere! At one time, there was one on the BARC webpage.

Alstrom & Mild state that under the biological species concept, these taxa
are best considered conspecific but under the phylogenetic species concept,
they are different species.

I'll respond re Yellow Wagtails separately.

WHEN WILL WE GET AN UPDATED CHRISTIDIS & BOLES!!!!!

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136