birding-aus

S.W.Qld. birds

To: <>
Subject: S.W.Qld. birds
From: "Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:32:50 +1000
I've just spent a month in the Kimberley on Mornington Station and saw quite a few birds which we don't get here, with the Long-tailed, Masked, Crimson and Gouldian Finches being the highlights along with the Purple-crowned Fairy-wren, but the real jewel to me was a Barking Owl  in constant sight at the camp where we were having dinner one night and many Bush-stone Curlews calling every night just at the back door of the homestead. Although I didn't go up there to see the birds, but a new baby granddaughter, I spent an hour or so every day with my binos and was rewarded with these and other sightings.
In the 10 days I've been home, and again without trying, I've been privileged to hear and see Redthroats, who are nesting, as are Red-capped Robins, Splendid Fairy-wrens whose colour is so spectacular you can see these tiny little birds as a turquoise speck from 100 metres away. Coming home from town yesterday about 2 klms. from the homestead I watched a Square-tailed Kite for about 20 mins. and was amazed at a Magpie-larks audacity in attacking it. A Red-backed Kingfisher was watching the spectacle from a safe vantage point in a Gidyea tree. Late yesterday afternoon while watering a garden a Crested Bellbird was hopping around only about 2 metres away and didn't seem at all fazed by my prescience, Ian says he hasn't seen one in the vicinity of our garden before.
The Mulga Parrots are feeding their young who are nearly fledged. We have lots of Bourke's Parrots here at the moment and a couple of days ago out in the Mulga country Ian pointed out some Black and Pied Honeyeaters to me, and then a Chestnut-breasted Q-thrush scuttled across the road in front of us.
Some people who left this morning had a good view of a Painted Honeyeater here, which is pretty exciting as we don't often see them.
I fully intend to spend more time actually looking for birds in the next few weeks, but then again it's probably more exciting when you are surprised by their prescience instead of expecting it.
Julie McLaren