birding-aus

Alice Springs to Newhaven Part 1

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Alice Springs to Newhaven Part 1
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:51:17 +1000
Hi all

Just back from a weeks trip to Newhaven Station via Alice Springs. I will
split the report into 3 , including the full bird list as many people may
have already visited or are planning to at some stage and may be interested
to hear about what was around at this time of the year.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG

 ALICE SPRINGS - NEWHAVEN TRIP

July 6 to 13th, 2004

Arrived in Alice about midday and collected a hire car from the airport.
First stop of course was the Sewerage Treatment Plant where a quick scan
from the fence revealed some birds to wet the appetite, including several
Little Crows and then we headed out to the Desert Park for 3 hours before
finishing the day at Simpson's Gap. It was my second visit to the Desert
Park and well worth while both for birds inside and outside the aviaries. We
saw about 30 species for the afternoon plus several Black-footed Rock
Wallabies at Simpson's Gap but no Dusky Grasswrens.

 Highlights included the Central Australian race of the Splendid Fairywren,
Malurus callainus, Grey-headed Honeyeaters at Simpson's Gap and several
Grey-crowned Babblers with their beautiful rufous-chestnut breasts (race
rubecula).

The next morning we met with fellow passengers at the Heavitree Gap Resort
before heading out to Newhaven with Outback Track Tours and our bird guides
for the trip, John and Carole Carpenter. John and Carole had spent a lot of
time at Newhaven and their knowledge and experiences of the area were
invaluable.

We managed a couple of birding stops on the way out and some of the
highlights were:

Several Wedge-tailed Eagles seen at road kills.

A pair of Mulga Parrots were seen close at hand in a dead tree where they
appeared to be nesting as the female disappeared into a hollow. Nearby was
also a pair of Red-browed Pardalotes, calling and showing nicely in the sun.
Our first of many Crested Bellbirds was heard and then seen, as well as a
Horsefield's Bronze-cuckoo. Also our only Thorny Devil of the trip.

Arriving mid to late afternoon at our campsite allowed time for those
sleeping in tents to get set up. As I slept out in a swag that left me time
for birding. A short walk from camp was very productive resulting in the
following species seen, the highlight of which was a Grey Honeyeater:

Zebra Finches and Budgerigars were plentiful. White-winged Trillers were
active as were Black-faced Woodswallows. A male Pied Honeyeater and male
Hooded Robin were also seen with the Trillers allowing a nice comparison of
these striking black & white birds. A Rufous Whistler in full song and a
party of Grey-crowned Babblers around our camp site plus a pair of Tawny
Frogmouths completed a good days birding.

The next morning we all set out for a birding walk after breakfast. Birds
seen included:

Little Eagle, a flying Australian Bustard, and a couple of Little
Button-quail were flushed. Diamond Doves were plentiful and our first
Australian Ringnecks were seen. A couple of Chestnut-rumped Thornbills gave
us brief looks and after following Black Honeyeater calls we were finally
all rewarded with excellent views of males singing from various vantage
points. A male Red-capped Robin put in a brief appearance as well.

In the afternoon we visited one of the Gorges where we saw a Red-backed
Kingfisher, Grey-headed Honeyeaters and a pair of Painted Finches. Overnight
a Southern Boobook Owl and a Spotted Nightjar were calling as well as an
Australian Magpie and Pied Butcherbird, which seemed to call every night.

Back to the road next day as we headed on a round trip of just over 100kms
to visit the various bores scattered around Newhaven, including the infamous
Camel Bore where the Night Parrots were seen. Our first Spotted Harrier was
seen along with Black-winged Stilts, Black-fronted Dotterel, Variegated and
White-winged Fairywrens, Banded Whiteface, Crimson Chat. The highlight at
Camel Bore was the only Major Mitchell Cockatoo seen for the trip and he
perched for several minutes allowing great views through the scope. In the
afternoon a trip to the Mesa added Peregrine Falcon and Australian Hobby and
on the way back a pair of Australian Bustards strutting along beside the
road.