birding-aus

Alice Springs to Newhaven Part 2

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Alice Springs to Newhaven Part 2
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:52:31 +1000
The next morning we drove down to Blue Lagoon and in the afternoon visited
Look Out Rock. Today was our most productive in variety of species as we saw
60 in one day.

On the way to Blue Lagoon we stopped beside the road where a mixed flock of
small birds were feeding. More Banded Whiteface were seen as were Crimson
Chats and our first flock of Masked Woodswallows hawked around overhead.

Blue Lagoon had plenty of water as Newhaven received 8 inches of rain in
May. Many water birds were present, including several Red-kneed Dotterels,
both adult and immature; Black-tailed Native-hens were seen scurrying around
on the opposite side. Our first Black-breasted Buzzard cruised overhead
allowing everybody stunning views. White-browed Babblers were around the
edge.

Water birds included: Australian Wood Duck, Grey Teal, Pink-eared Duck,
Hardhead, Australasian and Hoary-headed Grebe and Eurasian Coot. A Little
Pied Cormorant and a Great Egret plus several White-necked Herons completed
the picture.

The afternoon was spent clambering around the rocky hillside near Look Out
Rock searching for and finally obtaining glimpses of a couple of Dusky
Grasswrens, rock hopping and also flying down the hill. Peregrine Falcons
had a young one in the nest on the cliff top.

Our last morning and an after breakfast walk from the campsite added one new
bird, namely a party of 3 Varied Sittella.  We then started back towards
Alice seeing another 3 Black-breasted Buzzards and a large flock of Masked
Woodswallows on the way. The highlight was at Tilmouth Well, whilst having
lunch; a Grey Falcon appeared low overhead, stayed for a brief moment and
then disappeared into the sun. Two Cockatiel flew over the Road House as
well.

Around 86 species were seen at Newhaven in four full days. Not bad for a
property list of around 140. Also seen were two Red Kangaroo and several
Camels. It was certainly a magical and beautiful spot with many mountain
ranges and water sources. Wild Flowers and flowering plants were plentiful
and very colourful. The camping site was great, the bore water very
drinkable and several Pit Toilets have been installed. Outback Track Tours
looked after us and fed us well. John and Carole did a fantastic job of
showing us around the birds of Newhaven.

Overall for my trip, including two half days in Alice Springs, 106 species
were recorded.

The final morning, before flying home, was spent at the Alice Springs
Sewerage Treatment Plant. Highlights included several Red-necked Avocet and
a very vocal Spotless Crake, which gave a couple of us a fleeting look as it
dashed between reeds.

A quick look outside the airport added Brown Goshawk to the list as it tried
to weave amongst the small bushes in pursuit of Zebra Finches. Also present
was the ubiquitous White-plumed Honeyeater, although we did not record one
at Newhaven.

 Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG