birding-aus

Bushnell Sapcemaster Spotting 'Scope

Subject: Bushnell Sapcemaster Spotting 'Scope
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:19:14 +1000
Hi
I have no commercial interest in this company or product, but following
the enquiry I made a couple of weeks ago and the genuine responses I
received I thought I'd provide some feedback to all - especially the
cash-strapped!!

I purchased a Bushnell Spacemaster Spotting 'Scope a week ago and gave
it it's first 'run' at the weekend. I must say I am impressed and very
happy with my purchase. The first thing I would mention is the price -
$299. Sounds like a cheap alternative? Not so far. Cheap in price? -
Certainly, but I don't believe quality has been over compromised. Now,
I'm not saying the glassware will be the same quality as a Leica or
other top-of-the-range spotting scope, but then I'm not forking out
$2000 + either. I will say that this little scope appears to have the
edge when it comes to portability and comfort.
It folds down into a very small size and comes in a hard,
silver,briefcase for protection.
It has a soft pack to carry it on one's belt and comes with 2 eyepieces
- a static X25 and a Zoom of 15-45.
It also has a small 'table' tripod, which may be of some use in a  hide,
but in the field? Incorporated in that is a window mount - which would
be very handy in the right place and, being light, the scope would work
well on a window mount too.
It can be hand held at X45 - ie without a tripod.
It is so light to carry that the tripod I put it on - a recently
purchased model - is heavier.
I was quite happy with the zoomed X45 view of the Peregrine Falcon, that
I would estimate was close to 400m away, at the top of a pylon. Detail
was clear and colour consistent.
So far as I can ascertain there are no digiscoping attachements
available as yet, but the distributors, Tasco, are sourcing them as we
speak.

I know there are a lot of birders out there who cannot afford top of the
range gear - I reckon this is a brilliant alternative and well worth a
look. For those who travel overseas - I believe this could be the answer
to leaving the 'scope behind.
Check your local Camera House for availability.
I am a clerk in an electricity company and, once again, I have no
commercial interest in this product, Bushnell, Camera House or anything
else you can think of - except a good deal!

--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......