birding-aus

Last Weekend - Brisbane South

Subject: Last Weekend - Brisbane South
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:48:43 +1000
Hi
Last weekend (10 & 11.7) Robert D and I visited Minnippi on Saturday and
Eagleby on Sunday. Both areas on Brisbane southside. Eagleby opposite
Beenleigh on the eastern side of the Pacific hwy.
Good birding both days - if you visit Minnippi keep an eye out for the
Peregrine Falcon we spotted on top of one of the electricity pylons (my
new Bushnell Spacemaster Spotting 'Scope came in very handy!)  - looked
like a large female.. Usual other birds included 1 Glossy Ibis and a
Fan-tailed Cuckoo calling in the trees. 58 species in total.
At Eagleby we had a day of raptors - a pair of Black-shouldered Kites
started us off, followed shortly by a pair of Whistling Kites, a
Collared Sparrowhawk alighted high in a tree and stayed for about half
an hour (once again the new 'scope proved it's worth)later a Hobby
perched on the wires and a Swamp Harrier cruised by within excellent
range. Among the expected species - 8 Glossy Ibis, 1 Horsfield's
Bronze-Cuckoo, 2 Mangrove Honeyeaters along the river bank and 2 Striped
Honeyeaters at another location. 74 species for the morning.
A good weekend's birding in two familiar locations.
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......