birding-aus

1924-34 Birdlist from Wentworthville, a suburb of western Sydney, NSW.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: 1924-34 Birdlist from Wentworthville, a suburb of western Sydney, NSW.
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 06:25:41 +1000

1924-34 Birdlist from Wentworthville, a suburb of western Sydney, NSW.

All species seen within 1km of the intersection of Bridge Road & Darcy Road.

by Howard McKern.

These were recorded by

Brown Hawk

Red kneed Dotterel

Spotted Turtledove

White-faced Heron

Eastern Rosella

Galah

Pallid Cuckoo

Bronze Cuckoo

Boobook Owl

Sacred Kingfisher

Azure Kingfisher

Kookaburra

Swallow

Fairy Martin

Jacky Winter

Scarlet Robin

Restless Flycatcher (Scissors grinder)

Skylark

White-fronted Chat

Reed Warbler

Yellow-tailed Thornbill

Blue Wren

White-browed Wood Swallow

Dusky Woodswallow

Magpie Lark

Magpie

Grey Butcherbird

Brown Tree Creeper

White-throated Tree Creeper

Grey-backed Silvereye

Mistletoe Bird

Red-tipped Pardalote

Noisy Miner

Richard?s Pipit

Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Red-browed Finch (Toongabbie Creek)

Starling

Raven

Notes:

1)      These are not the exhaustive observations of an ornithologist, nor of a dedicated birdwatcher; they are simply sightings by an interested school boy.

2)      The absence of two common species from the list is puzzling; neither the Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike nor the Crested Pigeon appear.  Did I fail to record them, or did I never see them?

3)      Indian Mynahs had not yet penetrated so far west; I saw them at Stanmore.

4)      Currawongs had not then invaded the area.

Observations by Trevor Quested:

I feel he may have followed Leech?s An Australian Bird Book 1911 as the names seem similar. The area is near the Westmead Hospital. Toongabbie Creek is quite close.

There are some very interesting birds mentioned. Brown Treecreepers have disappeared entirely from the Sydney basin.  Scarlet Robins would be very rare around this area now.  I am not sure what habitat was there at the time for the White-fronted Chat.  I don?t know if Skylarks are in the area at all now. Red-kneed Dotterel may have been a Black-fronted as I don't think Red-kneed were in the Sydney area by 1934.