birding-aus

Brisbane, Qld, Murrarie, Wynnum and Toohey

Subject: Brisbane, Qld, Murrarie, Wynnum and Toohey
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:13:53 +1000
Weekend Wanderings ? 26 & 27.6.04 (Brisbane, Qld, Southside)

Saturday morning, a brisk 6.30 and Robert Dougherty and I headed for the
wilds of Murarrie Swamp. Water levels were lower than my last visit ?
some muddy margins exposed, fewer duck, usual Swamphens, Black-winged
Stilts etc. It was while scanning these muddy edges that we had a very
pleasant surprise ? a Lewin?s Rail exposed itself for a minute or so
before stalking back into the cover of the reeds. A new bird for both of
us, it was clearly distinguishable from the Spotted Crake I?ve seen
there before ? barred flanks, longer bill, reddish nape. Other ?good?
birds included 1 Striped Honeyeater, a pair of Ospreys guarding their
nest on the electricity pylon and Tawny & Little Grassbirds.
We moved on to a new location for me, but one Robert had been to before
? the Fuller Oval, a swampy pond behind a local football field in Wynnum
North. Approx 150 Magpie Gees, Grey and Chestnut Teal, Black-winged
Stilts, Aust Grebes and large numbers of commoner water birds appeared.
The lake was lower than normal and we managed to get around the right
hand side and into some rank grassland/dry swamp/low treed area. A
family party (5) of Black-shouldered Kites sat tight for close
inspection and a pair of Yellow-rumped Thornbills were there and, on a
smaller, deeper patch of water a pair of Black-necked Storks pondered.
Other ?good birds? included 7 Glossy Ibis, 2 Bar-shouldered Doves and,
again, Tawny and Little Grassbirds.

Sunday morning, and another brisk 6.30am, off to a very local patch for
both of us living in Mt Gravatt ? Toohey Forest. I have visited here
before, but Robert is the definite expert. Wandered the tracks for a
couple of hours noting commoner bush birds but including 2 Rose Robins,
one with pink flush ? is this an imm male? and best of all, for me
anyway, 4 Weebills. A total of 23 species and finishing with nice
?underneath views? of 2 Horsfield?s Bronze Cuckoos.

A pleasing weekend with lots of variety!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......