birding-aus

Superb Fruit-dove still here!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Superb Fruit-dove still here!
From: "warragal" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:01:25 +1000
Hi all,

Went back  Forest today to find the Superb Fruitdove and after about 10 mins of searching she was found!
I was observing the roosting three Brown Cuckoo-Doves when in the corner of my binoculars, about 10 metres away I saw a small bird.
I focused my binocs and there she was, the female Superb Fruitdove, her vivid green plumage shining in the sun.She did not call.
1 minute later she flew off and I chased her up the hill, there was no trace of her until I heard that unmistakable wing fluttering and then she re-appeared in a small turpentine about 9 metres away.
 I watched her here for about 6 minutes until she flew off again in the direction of the fruiting privet, this time I could not find her again.

If you would like to see the bird

Start the Sheldon Forest Walk at the Warragal Road Entrance in Turramurra.
Follow the walk which is marked by posts with keyholes engraved in them, you will eventually get to a Green Metal Staircase when you get to the bottom of this staircase, follow the track and count the keyholed posts as you go along.
When you get to the third keyholed post look around for fruiting Privet Trees (smooth barked exotics with purple berries) here you should find the Brown Cuckoo-doves with no problems, but if you look hard enough you should be able to find the Superb Fruitdove.
Tha past two times I have seen her she was perching on a branch of a turpentine tree of which there are about five in the area around the fruiting privets.

Goodluck and happy birding!

Regards,
Kurtis Lindsay