birding-aus

Re: Children's book & Editors

To: <>
Subject: Re: Children's book & Editors
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:08:01 +1000

Further to the exchange below, in unhappy moods I sometimes think that editors, like real estate agents, are but a necessary evil.   In an article I once wrote for a well-known Australian magazine, I referred to Albert's Lyrebirds' using their mimicry in fixed order to form a song some 40 to 50 seconds long, which may be cycled over and over.  The editor had to gild the lily by adding "like a cracked record".   A record that revolved once every 40 seconds?

It is  so unlike the repetition of a cracked record, that for over 100 years after the species was described, the repetition remained unnoticed.

But let's be reasonable: editors (and referees of papers and theses) are not doing their job properly unless they require a change of something an author has written, just on principle.   Are they?   :-)

Cheers

Syd