birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters

Subject: Regent Honeyeaters
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:58:16 +1000

Ricki Coughlan wrote "I'm just back from Chiltern, Vic, where the "Muggas" were in good  early flowering and really full of Little Lorikeets, Turquoise Parrots, Red-rumped Parrots, Yellow Rosellas, Eastern Rosellas, Fuscous H/eaters, White-plumed H/eaters, Yellow-tufted H/eaters, Little Friarbirds and Noisy Friarbirds, for starters, and in big numbers. Not a sign of Regent H/eaters there, but it looks like things are just getting under way. Locals may care to keep an eye on this.

Noticed some White Boxes in the Albury area in bud."

The following from Eileen Collins (Chiltern naturalist extraordinare) may be of interest "There isn't much! The Mugga Ironbark is flowering well and is full of Noisy and Little Friar-birds and the usual Yellow-tufted, Fuscous, Black-chinned and Brown-headed Honeyeaters. Two Regents have been sighted so far, the first on March 25 and the second on April 2. Since then, despite many people being in search of them, they have either left or are remaining silent.
Conditions appear to be ideal, with the White Box in great bud ready to produce follow-up blossom as the Ironbark fades. All we can do is continue searching. It seems that Ironbark blossom is plentiful in the region, Killawarra flowering is also good.
Maybe the count weekend will locate the birds if they are present.
"

Victorian and southern NSW birders should certainly be on the lookout for Regents.  I would particularly like to encourage you to participate in the national Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot Search Days on 15-16 May although we are happy for any participation the week before or after.  Feel free to contact me directly if you would like an information pack.

For those who aren't familiar with the search days we encourage people to go forth and search any area they think might produce either of the target species.  We do, however, try to avoid the situation where everybody goes to Chiltern, for example.  Survey sheets should be completed for every site visited regardless of whether the target species were located.  This gives us an idea of search effort and where the birds were not located as well as where they were seen.

Essentially, it's an excuse to go birdwatching in either your favourite places or somewhere you always wanted to go.  Better still, try somewhere where no-one goes birdwatching (this is probably the best place to see Regent Honeyeaters!!).

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.