birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:16:20 +1100
Yes, two reports in one week.
Today, Tuesday at 11.30am we were near the W145 Outlet, just west of the mouth of the Little River and I think every wader in Victoria was there!
Close in and having problems extricating their feet from the mud were the Red-necked Stints, just beyond and in water were the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, some with very rufous crowns, then a little further out the Curlew Sandpipers  some with very speckled chests and others showing red chests. Again  further in the Bay were 7 Godwits, one in superb breeding colour.At one stage all the birds rose as one and did a short fly past and then settled back to feeding.  There were 8 White-winged Black Tern in the group. Could it be the gathering before the departure.  We were all convinced most had already gone.
On the sandbar at the mouth of Little River the Little Black Cormorants were packed closely together.  A magnificent sight.
The level of water in the Conservation Lagoon is low so we saw Spotless Crake skulking around, the Reed Warblers came and sat out on the reeds.
And that's not all.... Near heavy, noisy construction works where the water is very low were all the Avocet and Banded Stilts.
So there is still plenty to see at the WTP.

Shirley Cameron
Werribee