birding-aus

Pumicestone Passage, SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Pumicestone Passage, SEQ
From: "The Dam Lamb Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:42:06 +1100
Spent a pleasant day last weekend poking around the Pumicestone Passage hamlets of Donnybrook, Meldale and Toorbul, all on the mainland side of the passage.Finished-up at the hide-tide wader roost at Toorbul where the QWSG were holding one of their well-attended ID days.
    Highlights of the day were seeing Bar-tailed Godwits and Lesser Sand Plover in varying stages of their rich rufous breeding plumage, some birds up to 80%.Also saw a solitary Grey Plover as well as the usual Terek, Curlew Sandpipers, Whimbrel,Eastern Curlew, Great Knot, Greenshank, Grey-tailed Tattler. Both Pied and Sooty Oystercatchers were present which I found a bit unusual. The Pieds are a common occurrence in the passage but I can't recall seeing Sooty on the mudflats or beaches of the passage, you normally see them on the surf beaches and rockshelfs of the Sunshine Coast. Quite a number of Little Tern along with Caspian and Crested.Mangrove Gerygone heard from the mangroves at a number of spots ,and a couple of White-breasted Woodswallows.
      Bishops Lagoon now has water in it and we found (not hard!!) a pair of Jabiru, along with the resident Australian Hobby. Other raptors seen were Whistling Kite, White-bellied Sea-Eagle and Osprey. A total of 59 birds in around 4 hours of easy birding.

       Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ