birding-aus

Glossy versa Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo

To: <>
Subject: Glossy versa Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:12:35 +1000
On the 20 March a group of Birds Queensland at Apex Lake, Gatton, SE QLD,
saw four Black-cockatoos fly past. The birders split into to two groups, the
Glossy and Red-tailed schools (but we have agreed not to start a Cockatoo
war). They were NOT Yellow-tailed.

Everyone agrees that the birds showed NO red in the tails at all. No yellow
spotting on the body and no noticeable crest. Their voice was quite carrying
(we heard them long before we saw them) but not particularly loud and not
harsh (very unlike a Red-tailed to my mind) and was stated to be unlike a
taped voice of the Glossy when compared. The bills were stated to be quite
pale (I didn't see this but didn't have the best angle).

Gatton is 85 km from the Morton Bay as the cockatoo flies and Glossy B-C is
probably slightly more likely there.

Could we have some comments on what we should look for and what people's
experience in the field of seeing the various field marks. How does one tell
the B-C species apart?

Best regards

Tim Murphy

PS. We got very good sightings of a number of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes later in
the day.