birding-aus

A Knot-y problem

To: <>
Subject: A Knot-y problem
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:48:57 +1000
Hi all,
Especially the wader-wizards............

The other day, 17 March 2004, during a digital-photographic session at a beach
near where I live
(see below), I 'captured' photos of 3 Red Knots.
At the time I thought there was only two Red Knots, however, when I examined
the images later I
realized there was actually three.
The flock of waders I was photographing consisted of Bar-tailed Godwits (Limosa
lapponica), Great
Knot (Calidris tenuirostris) and the three Red Knots (Calidris canutus).
Many of the Bar-tailed Godwits were in advanced stages of breeding plumage (the
main reason for the
photographic session) as were many of the Great Knots.
The Red Knots were not showing any obvious traces of breeding plumage, however,
when I examined the
images more closely I could see that one bird was just beginning to show the
colour that the species
is named for.
Further examination of the Red Knot photos gave me the impression that the
three birds were possibly
all in different stages of development.
My reading of such references as HANZAB (Handbook of Australian New Zealand and
Antarctic Birds)
gives me the feeling that one bird was an 'Immature', another was an adult in
non-breeding plumage
and the third was a breeding adult.

I am interested in the opinions of birders more practiced in wader
identification than myself.
To that end I have placed pictures of the three birds (with my comments) on a
web page which can be
viewed at:
http://users.tpg.com.au/inglisrc/3redknots.htm
Please note that this page may take a minute or two to download using a dial-up
connection due to
the images involved.
Comments can be sent to me by clicking on the 'Contact Graphic" at the bottom
of the page.
I will attempt to answer all genuine responses as quickly as possible.

Where is that beach?
Crockatt Park is on the Redcliffe Peninsula which is just north of Brisbane,
Queensland, Australia.
It can be found @ N18 on Map 91 in the Brisbane Refidex Street Directory.
I live a 'hop, skip, and a jump' from there.........well, perhaps a bit further.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland