birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:33:10 +1100 (EST)
3693513; Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:46:48 +1000
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Red-tailed Blacks, Blue-billed Duck, Pygmy-geese, Channel-bills
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:46:45 +1000

We planted a lot of White Cedars here four years ago, with the long-term
ambition of providing something for our regular Red-tailed Blacks to
linger
longer over. This has been their first fruiting season, and sure enough
they
have turned up on cue. I've put some photos on the Abberton website,
which
I've just updated along with about twenty or so other recent photos of
birds
in the garden and around the Lockyer.

For those who receive a copy of this note directly (ie not through
birding-aus) I'll attach one favourite image as an appetite-whettener.

Two Channel-billed Cuckoos have spent the last couple of weeks in the
garden, being fed by four Torresian Crows. Dollarbirds are still here,
just
birds of the year, we're still seeing occasional juvenile Koels.
Pheasant
Coucals are active, noisy and nesting.

There was a brightly coloured male Blue-billed Duck on Lake Freeman at
Gatton the other day. (Thanks to Roy Sonnenburg who spotted it first,
and
rang to let me know). It was too far off to get any good photographs,
but
I'll keep trying. There were some Cotton Pygmy-geese there too, as well
as
Wandering Whistling Ducks, both with young. In fact, there's been a
burst of
breeding among all sorts of birds hereabouts over the last few weeks.

Nearby, Seven Mile Lagoon has been restored to life by the recent
rains, and
was being cruised by a Swamp Harrier yesterday.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at  www.abberton.org