birding-aus

Re: More Dead Fairy Penguins

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: More Dead Fairy Penguins
From: "belles" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:37:25 +1100
We have had a few Little Penguins coming in as well as far up as Shoalhaven
Heads, Batemans Bay and I think a couple came in from Merimbula area?
They are juveniles, my one had a head injury it was a juvenile and pretty
healthy poor little guy. A lady phoned me the other day as she had found one
dead Little Penguin on one of our local beaches. Not like the thousands
further down south. What about asking SOSSA they may have an idea of why
they are dying?
I also picked up another White-Faced Storm Petrel which had been entangled
with fishing line. It was too badly bruised and couldn't fly and they wont
feed in care, it did die. I tried force feeding it with no luck. These are
beautiful birds. I usually get a few of these in care as people find them
just sitting on the beach so they seem to think they are injured. They are
leaving our shores now, Does anyone know exactly how far they travel? I was
told nobody actually knew how far or where they went to.

Marian
Wildlife Carer