birding-aus

Cockatiels - recent sightings & locations?

To: <>
Subject: Cockatiels - recent sightings & locations?
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 06:55:11 +1100
Thankyou birding-ausers.

My request for information, on behalf of two German tourists travelling up
the east coast of Australia to Brisbane, about where to see  Cockatiels in
the wild has resulted in 14 replies.  My request was posted at 8.20pm
and when I fired up the confuser at 6am the next morning there were already

Summaries of the responses  are given below.  It would appear that the
Lockyer Valley or Dalby are the best bets for Jana and Thomas to see
Cockatiels.

I've seen them west and north of the Warrumbungles, (NE of Dubbo) and in
Lockyer Valley below Toowoomba, Q'land.

A trip to different areas around the Lockyer Valley ( between Brisbane and
Toowoomba ) should produce some.

Around Atkinson's Dam in the Lockyer Valley (approx. 1-1 and 1/2 hours from
Brisbane CBD) is a good place for Cockatiels.

If they are willing "to travel at least 100km from their planned route if
need be", (ie 50 km west then 50 km east), back to a coastal route from se
Vic to Brisbane. It seems highly unlikely that they have even the slightest
chance. My best guess is Lake Atkinson in Ipswich region west of Brisbane,
had them, at least they were there 20 years ago.

We've recently seen cockatiels in the wild on the Warrego Hwy between Dalby
and Roma. I don't think you can miss them on this stretch.

Cockatiels are always in abundance at Dalby in Queensland especially around
the Agricultural College along the Bunya Mountains road between Dalby and
Bell.

Cockatiels are common breeding resident in the Burnett (Bundaberg), 4 hrs
nth of Bris.

Cockatiels are usually quite common in the Locker Valley about 100km west of
Brisbane.

The only time we've seen them  was in early October 99 in Barellan NSW.
Judging from our experience, they'd have to travel farther than 100km in
from the coast.

If they drove the inland route Melbourne, Wagga, Griffith, Dubbo, Tamworth
&c they would almost certainly see them. But I can't think where a 100km
detour from the Princes/Pacific Highway is going to pick them up.

Cockatiel flocks at Bargara Beach waterfront units Bundaberg, SE Qld.

They can be seen from time to time at Goshen reserve near Swan Hill.

Out west of Toowoomba, Oakey and west towards Dalby Cockatiels are fairly
common.

Travel the inland route via West Wylong, Dubbo then via Moree.  Guaranteed!

Cheers
Val