birding-aus

coxens fig parrot

Subject: coxens fig parrot
From: "Lyndy or Graeme" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:52:18 +0000
Myself and a collegue sighted a pair of Coxens Fig Parrots in September 2003 approx. 2km upstream of Mt. Blandy on the Burnett River. The birds were clearly watched for 15 minutes moving around in Calistemon.
The sighting was accepted as legitimate by QPWS threatened species officer.
The location of the sighting is within the impoundment zone of the Paradise Dam/Burnett River Dam. This means 45kms of potential habitat will be destroyed. I have reported this to the Qld Env. Minister and EA and David Kemp. They have all rejected the sighting and given the go ahead for construction of the dam to continue. They seem to be inferring in the responses to my letters that confirmation would be by a sighting by one of their officers or by a photo. Needless to say I find this ridiculous. I am a zoologist working on the river and quite capable of identifying a bird. EA and the Qld Gov. dont give a toss about the env. Not even the rarest bird in Aus. I am fighting the dam as hard as I can but need help. Anyone interested in helping through letters to kemp, Qld Gov or any other way please contact me for details of addresses etc.
Graeme Armstrong