birding-aus

Oh, not more Fork-taileds....

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Mike Tarburton" <>
Subject: Oh, not more Fork-taileds....
From: "Marc Gardner" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:24:53 +1000
This evening we saw a flock of approx. 90 Fork-tailed Swifts flying around the Julia Creek (QLD) Water Tower like a big flock of Fairy Martins.  Some were so close to the ground that it was really a easy to see some white rumps and their forked tails.  There must have been some insects around the tower for some reason.

Most of the birds were that close that their calls combined sounded like a wierd twittering - certainly something I've never experienced with this species, but they obviously do in close groups.  But at the moment up here, recent rain and plant growth has resulted in a mass of insects, it's almost unbelievable and the birds are having the time of their life.  Most of the Brolgas and some species of waterfowl that frequent the region during the dry season have moved on, presumably up towards the Southern Gulf Wetlands to breed.

Singing Bushlarks, Browns Songlarks and Brown Falcons are becoming extremely numerous too.  Little Button Quail are more frequently being seen.  We need some of the 3 million Oriental Pratincoles to get rid of all the insects - it's that bad, I kid you not, I have about 7 bugs and a small hawk moth on my screen as I type this message and I've just triggered a stink bug somewhere!

Cheers
Marc Gardner
Julia Creek QLD