birding-aus

coxens fig parrot

To: "Lyndy or Graeme" <>
Subject: coxens fig parrot
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:39:03 +1100

I urge all birders to get a digital camera and take it with them in the field for just this type of situation.

Digital technology is a godsend for birders and birds, in my opinion.  If you see a species that is rare, a vagrant, or different in anyway, digital cameras (combined with the internet) makes it simple to capture an image of the bird, record its call and send it to colleagues to confirm identification.

The situation you mention is disturbing though, Graeme. Do you think that they'd even consider replanning the dam even if a photo was taken?

Perhaps you could contact some newpapers or television stations about the absurdity and irresponsibility of these actions? (The media would love to use terms like "Australias Rarest Parrot" in there releases).

Peter

"Lyndy or Graeme" <>
Sent by:

19/02/2004 11:52 PM

cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] coxens fig parrot

Myself and a collegue sighted a pair of Coxens Fig Parrots in September 2003
approx. 2km upstream of Mt. Blandy on the Burnett River. The birds were
clearly watched for 15 minutes moving around in Calistemon.
The sighting was accepted as legitimate by QPWS threatened species officer.
The location of the sighting is within the impoundment zone of the Paradise
Dam/Burnett River Dam. This means 45kms of potential habitat will be
destroyed. I have reported this to the Qld Env. Minister and EA and David
Kemp. They have all rejected the sighting and given the go ahead for
construction of the dam to continue.
They seem to be inferring in the responses to my letters that confirmation
would be by a sighting by one of their officers or by a photo. Needless to
say I find this ridiculous. I am a zoologist working on the river and quite
capable of identifying a bird.
EA and the Qld Gov. dont give a toss about the env. Not even the rarest bird
in Aus.
I am fighting the dam as hard as I can but need help. Anyone interested in
helping through letters to kemp, Qld Gov or any other way please contact me
for details of addresses etc.
Graeme Armstrong