birding-aus

Birding near Griffith (NSW)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birding near Griffith (NSW)
From: jesko sirker <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:11:30 +1100
Hi all,

although a little bit late I want to report about a trip to Binya SF on
Saturday the 7.2.2004. As this was very hot day with temperatures well above
40 degree I decided to restict walking to a minimum and mainly sat in the
shadow near a small waterhole in Binya SF not far away from the road to
Cocoparra NP. Quite amazingly I observed 35 species within a distance of only
400 metres around this small pond in only 2 hours including

Speckled Warblers
2 BLUE-WINGED PARROTS
Mulga Parrots
Eastern Ringneck
Spiny-cheeked, Brown and Striped H.
Diamond and Peaceful Doves
Crested Bellbird
Splendid Fairywren
Inland Thornbill
Southern Whiteface
Hooded Robin
White-browed Babbler

I was especially surprised about the Blue-winged Parrots. Binya SF is out of
breeding range and I thought it was a little bit early to see these Parrots
so far to the inland. However, although I know that Turquoise Parrots have
also been seen there before, I am absolutely sure that these 2 birds I have
seen are Blue-winged P.
On my way back I stopped at a lagoon near Forbes with plenty of Shovelers,
Pink-eared Ducks (>100) and 2 male Blue-billed Ducks.

Thanks again to everyone who has send me tips for this region and especially
to Dick Jenkin who has pointed out Binya SF. It is really an excellent spot
definitely worth to visit again in a cooler period of the year.

Jesko