birding-aus

Misplaced bird calls in films (was: Help wanted...)

Subject: Misplaced bird calls in films (was: Help wanted...)
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:53:35 +1100
Indeed Magpies have been introduced to NZ and like many of the introductions is quit a pest. I will never forget driving around and listening to the equivalent of the ABC on the radio and they had an discussion on how to get rid of magpies. There is a chemical readily available from hardware stores (can't remember what it is but is well known) that aneathatises (wish I could spell) birds. They recommended placing it on your lawn and when the magpies fall humanely killing them. Any native birds that eat (Tuis were particularly mentioned) could also be collected and thenreleased once they wake. Apparently all quite legal.

Anyway back to the LoTR - If I hear one more Red-tailed Hawk (the sound of the Giant Eagles) or Herring Gull (they obviously inhabit every harbour in the world - even Middle Earth) in another movie I will scream.

Aah feel much better.
Cheers,
Peter