birding-aus

Nesting Topknot Pigeons

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Topknot Pigeons
From: "Robyn Howard" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:33:39 +1000
Saw four Topknot Pigeons in Mapleton Forest (SE Qld, in hills west of Nambour) yesterday, 1st February.   Nothing terribly exciting about that, excepting that it was two nesting pairs, and I had never seen even one nest before.   The higher nest was on a very substantial branch of a majestic Eucalyptus grandis, and the other was about six metres below in a different tree.  (Am useless on tree identification, so can't say what type!)   The forest is wet sclerophyll.   The females (?) were sitting on the nests, and the males were finding and breaking off untidy twigs in trees about 100 metres away, then returning with them at regular intervals.  The nests appeared almost complete, and a better structure than the usual pigeon nest, so hopefully we'll be able to check them in a couple of weeks.   My main worry is that yesterday and a month ago, a Brown Goshawk was perched quite nearby.   I do hope it is not drooling over the future menu!

Do Topknot Pigeons normally nest so close?   Would love to hear from anyone with experiences and knowledge.  The nests were not easy to see, and the friend with me never did find the second nest.   I happened to see one bird in flight with a twig, so followed it with the binoculars.

Robyn