birding-aus

A Blue Mountains Walk

To: <>
Subject: A Blue Mountains Walk
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:59:22 +1100
Tuesday morning was cool and damp, a welcome relief after the hot days.  The
birds seemed happy too, so it seemed a good morning for a walk.  A Brush
Bronzewing flew up from the track as I started out and the Rufous Whistlers
were in full voice.  I stopped to watch 2 pairs of whistlers trying to
outsing each other from either side of the track.  Grey Fantails flitted
about (all walks here seem to include Grey Fantails!) and some Yellow-faced
and Brown-headed Honeyeaters were bathing in the wet leaves.  Further down
the hill Golden Whstlers appeared, with Black-faced Monarchs, Leaden
Flycatchers and a Cicadabird.  ThAngophoras are shedding bark and the wet
trunks shone with all shades of tan and salmon.  Brown Thornbills and
White-browed Scrubwrens scolded from the understorey.  The Cedar Wattles by
the creek were full of Red-browed
Finches and Brown Gerygones while a Red-browed Treecreeper foraged on the
loose bark high in a Sydney Peppermint. A Rufous Fantail dashed across the
track in pursuit of an insect and I could hear a Lewin's Honeyeater calling.
A little further along I found a family party of Crested Shrike-tits in a
Scribbly Gum, always  nice birds to see.  Variegated Fairy-wrens hopped
around in the bracken almost at my feet and I nearly trod on a Red-bellied
Black Snake when I wasn't paying attention.  Eastern Whipbirds and
Pilotbirds accompanied me most of the way but, as usual, were just
disembodied voices.  High on a moss-covered boulder a male Superb Lyrebird
danced and sang.  I stood and watched for ages.

Surprise of the morning came in an area which had been burnt a couple of
years ago.  A small parrot flew up from the ground and when I got the binos
on it I saw it was a Turquoise Parrot.  I expect to see them in Capertee
Valley but have never seen one here in the mid-mountains.  Possibly it was
an aviary escape, it looked like a juvenile bird, but I guess I will never
know.

All told I recorded 34 species for the morning.  It's no wonder that what is
usually 1 hour's walk turned into 3.

Cheers,

Jill
Hazelbrook, Blue Mountains.