birding-aus

What I See

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: What I See
From: "jawenham" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:34:11 +1000
Hi again,

I've had a couple of emails asking me what I see in my area.  Following is a list of what I've positively identified in the last 12 months (since I got semi-serious).  There are some missing from the list that I have definitely seen in the past (eg wedge-tailed eagle) and there are lots that I can't positively identify (it's a bit hard at 100kmh on the way to work).  I think I need an expert to help and also some night time watching.  If you are surprised to see some seabirds on a list from central Qld, the explanation is mostly that there is a large dam - Fairbairn Dam - south of Emerald.  Also, some of them are on the local rivers.  The dam, unfortunately, is very low, like so many others in the drought.  We have had some good rain in the last few weeks but you couldn't say the drought has been broken.  We are waiting to see whether or not our birds desert us when they have water & food elsewhere.  We will miss them if they do.  Anyway, here is what we have - mostly in our yard, but a few within a few kms, and a few others within maybe 50km of home.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Jenny.

Emu
Little Pied Cormorant
Brolga
Sacred Ibis
Osprey
Australian Bustard
Silver Gull
Crested Pigeon
Peaceful Dove
Diamond Dove
Bar-shouldered Dove
Little Corella
Galah
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet (eastern form)
Cockatiel
Red-winged Parrot
Pale-headed Rosella
Pheasant Coucal
Common Koel
Laughing Kookaburra
Sacred Kingfisher
Rainbow Bee-eater
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Hooded Robin
Willy Wagtail
Grey-crowned Babbler
Red-backed Wren (scarlet-backed form)
Noisy Friarbird
Blue-faced Honeyeater
Yellow-throated Miner (white rumped form)
Brown Honeyeater
Silvereye (south-eastern form)
Double-barred Finch
Figbird (southern form)