birding-aus

swifts

To: "John" <>
Subject: swifts
From: Judith Lukin-Amundsen <>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:03:55 +1000
Well, John, I was kind of comparing the usual sightings which are reported - i.e. of swifts appearing and being immediately followed by a storm, which might clear soon after - with something I've seen - that is, swifts appearing, then, days later, rain setting in, perhaps for some time.
        Is it usually considered that both of these events occur?

Judith.

Judith,
There's no mystery.  When a cold front comes through it is preceded by a strong updraft, which picks up insects from low down and carries them into the upper air. That's what the swifts are feeding on.
John