birding-aus

Propsect Reservoir, Blacktown - 1st November 2003

To: <>
Subject: Propsect Reservoir, Blacktown - 1st November 2003
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:05:27 +1100
Spent a few hours on the early Saturday morning at Prospect Reservoir with David Mitford and saw a number of interesting birds including good close views of Great Crested Grebes, a Nankeen Night Heron, 4 Hardheads, 12 Whistling Kites, a brilliant pair of adult White-bellied Sea-eagles, great views of a Buff-banded Rail, 40-50 Whiskered Terns, a Pallid Cuckoo, Dollarbird, a few White-winged Trillers, one (and heard another) Rufous Fantails, White-throated Gerygones, Scarlet Honyeaters and Olive-backed Orioles. We also heard a Brown Quail and a Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo and saw 5 Eastern Grey Kangaroos on the edge of the woodland.

We heard a strange call from the reeds coming from a Reed Warbler (a call I have never heard before) and we supected whether it could have been a Great Reed Warbler, so I got out my BOC tape (which I had handy) and played the Great Reed Warbler call (the tape unfortunately had only the song call of the Great Reed Warbler) and the bird popped out of the reeds and continued making the strange call. However when I then played the next call, that of the Clamorous Reed Warbler it (or another bird called back from nearby). Does anybody know where I can get access to a Great Reed Warbler call (not its song as I have on the BOC and other tape)?

Also it was interersting to see about a hundred or so Australian Ravens flying close to each other over the woodland (its not just the Little Raven's that flock).

Edwin Vella