birding-aus

audible warning of swooping magpie

To: "John Leonard" <>
Subject: audible warning of swooping magpie
From: knightl <>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:41:41 +1000
G'day John,

Some maggies have battle cries while others don't.

Why would you want to slow down? Maggies tend to swoop from behind, so the slower you go, the longer you are in their territory and the more
you get swooped.  The important thing when you get swooped is to
concentrate on your riding and not to be distracted by the sweet
nothings and love taps coming from the traditional owner.  If you are
wearing sunglasses and a helmet with a legionnaires cover, there is
limited scope for maggie to do you any serious damage, particularly if you are motoring along [its relative / closing speed is reduced, so it can't hit you hard if it has to work to keep up with you].

Regards, Laurie.