birding-aus

Australian Pratincole in Newcastle Today

To: <>
Subject: Australian Pratincole in Newcastle Today
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:29:26 +1000
Hi all

Just to pass on the message, David Mitford saw the Australian Pratincole
quite well this morning in about the same area as Phil Hansboro saw (as
described in his email below) and roaming about the tussocky grass in that
area. Good on  you Phil for reporting this interesting sighting. It was a
species I predicted would turn up along the coast during the current
drought. I also had one at McGrath's Hill STW in Sydney back in 1991
(therefore Sydney birdos look out for one in the short grass around the air
fields or turf farms).

Other birds present on Ash Island today as mentioned by David include c100
Stints, Marsh and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Greenshanks, Pacific Golden
Plovers and 3 Whiskered Terns.

Edwin