birding-aus

Satin Bowerbird bowers

To: <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbird bowers
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:22:52 +1000
Hi Birders,
I was interested to read the note from Neil & Judy Russill of 17/9/03 concerning the Satin Bowerbird's bower in Royal NP where amongst all the blue items at the bower was a lone bright yellow crest feather of the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo. This was my experience yesterday when I checked out the the bower in Suttons Reserve Bateau Bay, apparently being owned and operated by a green male. I had gone closer to see whether the two blue milk bottle top rings at the bower had been split, which they were and noticed that amongst all the blue items were two that stood out! The first was a bright long yellow crest feather of the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and the other was white top ring of a condom. A pretty interesting item for a male Satin Bowerbird to carry when he dances round trying to court his female friends! At least he is well prepared!

Alan Morris