birding-aus

Turquoise Parrot flocks (in Capertee Valley)

To: <>
Subject: Turquoise Parrot flocks (in Capertee Valley)
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:11:31 +1000
I was looking through my notes, in particular my past trip lists to the Capertee Valley and I came accross my list for Sept 1994 (a drought year) where myself and David Koffel recorded seeing 30 Turquoise Parrots come to drink (an event we will never forget) at Rockview approx 20km east of Capertee. I recall it was late in the afternoon when other birds came to drink at the same water trough (Black-chinned, Brown-headed and Scarlet Honey-eaters, Diamond Firetails etc) and there was a pair of Black Honeyeaters in flowering tree close by.

Has anybody seen any larger flocks of Turquoise Parrots like this before? These parrots would normally pair up this time of year (as I saw last Sunday) but I guess they do form a flock when they come to drink!

Also I had over 500 Little Lorikeets including 150 in one flock alone.

Edwin