birding-aus

The Five Best Birding Sites in Australia

To: Messages Birding-aus <>
Subject: The Five Best Birding Sites in Australia
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:01:50 +1000
Living in Melbourne, with easy access to the Western Treatment Plant (Werribee Sewage Farm), I find myself taking visiting birders down that way on occasions.  Several times I have suggested to these visitors that the WTP is one of Australia's five best birding sites - without anything much to be able to sustain such a grand statement.
John Barkla's recent report on Birding-Aus of a "typical" visit he and Fred Smith made to the Farm recently (albeit with some pretty good birds sighted, even for Werribee) reminded me what a wonderful site it is for birdwatchers, particularly in such close proximity to Australia's second largest city.  And it got me thinking a little more about our "five best sites".
So what do Birding-Aus members think our best five are?  (Set your own criteria for "best" - you may even like to make your criteria explicit and let us know what they are.)
Just to start the discussion going I'll suggest a few possibilities - from personal experience and other people's reports over the years - including reports on this forum (in no particular order):
  • Werribee/WTP (of course)
  • The Cairns region
  • The Hawkesbury region
  • The Lockyer Valley
  • The Capertee Valley
  • The Murray Mallee
If we get enough responses/discussion perhaps it will enable me (and others) to describe our local favourite as "one of the five best sites in Australia" with just a little more substance to the claim (?!).
Richard

RICHARD NOWOTNY
8 Pier St   Port Melbourne
VIC  AUSTRALIA  3207