birding-aus

RFI Alice Springs/Yulara area

To: "Robert Grimmond" <>, <>
Subject: RFI Alice Springs/Yulara area
From: "Alex Farias" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:40:21 +1000
G'day,

I was there the first week of January.

The "usual" spot for Spnifex Bird and Red Capped Emu Wren  (Ellery Creeck)
was all BURNED out, hills and hills of Spinefex were completely cleared out.

I saw pied Honeyeaters in the botanic gardens, but no lucky with Grey HE.

In Standly Chasm, just around the car park I found very relaxed Dusky and
Striated Grasswrens.

Ormiston gorge is still a very good place. I saw  Diamond, Spinefex (lots),
Peaceful Dove plus White fronted, Variegated FW, Pie and Black HE and
Freckled ducks.

My advice is  don't concentrate only in one direction. I only found Crimson
Chats, Budgerigars, and woodswallows when I went WEST of Alice, after I
spent 3 day without these birds in the Mac Donald's Range.

Cheers
Alex Farias