birding-aus

Blackbird's song - an analysis

To: Vicki Powys <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Blackbird's song - an analysis
From: Helen Horton <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:55:02 +1000
Congratulations to Vicki for doing all this, and one can't help but agree
that she is right.  Having heard Blackbirds sing in Cowra and in Canberra,
I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Perhaps I will have the temerity
to suggest that the English or Europeans don't have so many other beautiful
beautiful songsters in their countries to overshadow the blackbirds.

One text I read recently states that nightingales, blackbirds, blackcaps
and skylarks are the best British songsters.  All fine songsters, without
doubt, but against that list of four birds, I can think of Grey
Shrike-thrush, Pied Butcherbird, various Whistlers, those lyrebirds, the
Brown Honeyeater that can call continuously from a street tree in the
suburbs practically all year round, White-throated Gerygones and the quite
aetherial song of the Mangrove Gerygone when heard in the mangroves -- one
could go on.  Makes the competition a bit hard.

Helen Horton