birding-aus

White-winged Choughs near Melbourne

To: "belles" <>
Subject: White-winged Choughs near Melbourne
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:44:56 +1000

This is a fascinating topic.

Is anyone else aware of other tamed species having human language capabilities?

Peter

"belles" <>
Sent by:

18/07/2003 09:24 AM

"Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
cc
"birding-aus" <>
Subject
Re: [BIRDING-AUS] White-winged Choughs near Melbourne

Those White-winged Chough's aren't the smartest birds....or are they. One of our Carers in our wildlife group has a WWC. It came into care 5 years ago, nobody had seen one. The birds eye's go red, and one carer thought it may have had bleeding somewhere internally. As it turned out the bird was okay and it is a natural thing to happen. This Chough can actually talk, and swear, I have seen this bird and she is very strange. We think someone had raised this bird and tamed it down, but for the last 5 years or so she fly's around freely on the carers property, she visits with neighbours, she talks so clearly but she gets locked away at night. It is just so strange this lady leaves her back door open so the bird comes and goes, as she likes. She will also go out and get duck, chook poo and she makes a nest on top of this ladies ceiling fan. I have seen her do this, when any WWC's come in to the area she actually hides. If there is a Hawk or Eagle around she alerts this lady, as she has joeys outside in pens, that she is raising, she keeps an eye out on the animals. Very funny, talkative Chough, she also loves to sit on  your shoulder and snuggles in to your neck, she takes food out of this ladies hand, she will even open a container (a plastic) one and take food out of it. She rips paper up, and takes note pads, and anything and hides it from this lady. Some of the things this bird does is so funny. Nobody knows where she came from, she was found by someone one day and they phoned WIRES (wildlife information & rescue services)??

Marian