birding-aus

Re Robins plus

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Re Robins plus
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:56:20 +1000
Philip A. Veerman wrote:
I wonder about this in terms not only of location but of relevance. Of course it is nice for people just to write that they have seen a pink-tufted chat-petrel at 517 km north of Mildurelaide. Sometimes I wonder (if they are for places that I know nothing about) why they choose to mention the pink-tufted chat-petrel and may have forgotten to mention the white-crowned eagle-finch that was also there. As in I might be more interested in the latter. I like it best when someone mentions not just what was where (or even not there) but why they also tell us why they are telling us (as in is this notable or a unusual or what).

Hi Philip

Your question about relevance is easily answered!  I have been known to use the Birding-Aus archive as a rather more narrowly focused database of places to go birding than is presented by (for example) the national atlas, or the dreaded Thomas & Thomas.  It seems that many others do the same.  In return I randomly put complete trip lists (ferals & non-birds included) in from mundane locations as well as slightly more exotic ones - essentially to fill a small part of the information void that exists for Australia between backyards and Kakadu - as do many others here.  All my data routinely go to state/national databases as well - but this list is a more accessible medium for many people.  If the location/fauna is of any interest to anyone, they have a chance of finding and read it.  Some will even have enough local knowledge to place it in some kind of context (and if I'm not feeling too lazy I'll comment on that as well).  The rest get to exercise their delete buttons!

L.

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.