birding-aus

Scarlet Honeyeaters at Newstead, Victoria

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Scarlet Honeyeaters at Newstead, Victoria
From: Sean Dooley <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 01:20:33 +1000
On Saturday July 5th, I made an attempt to photograph the Regent Honeyeater that has been hanging around the "Whispering Gums" Motel at Newstead. No luck on the Regent- I had arrived too late as it hadn't been seen since 10 AM and I didn't roll up until early afternoon.

To make up for any disappointment, I turned up at least two, possibly three Scarlet Honeyeaters feeding in both the same Ironbark that the Regent favours and in a small callistemon bush in the motel grounds. One bird (photographed) was in full male plumage, whilst the other was an immature male, well advanced into adult plumage. A possible third bird was lurking in a large Wattle nearby but I failed to see it out in the open. Similarly, I was unable to confirm a possible Western Gerygone that flew over.

The Scarlets were giving a soft, yet bright tinkling warble that included snatches of other birds' calls such as Silvereye and Mistletoebird.

This seems to me a rather remarkable sighting being so far west of this birds usual haunts in Victoria and follows on the reports of this species at Sedgewick near Bendigo in late May.