birding-aus

Re: Pacific's last megapode bird declared saved from extinction

To: <>
Subject: Re: Pacific's last megapode bird declared saved from extinction
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:39:36 +0930
Re megapodes.

During the 8 years I lived on Bougainville I came across megapodes quite frequently. Heard far more often than seen. A nest I saw dug out  was between the flanges of a giant forest tree. The locals took 26 eggs out some buried  deeper than a man's arm. My friend was lying on the ground and had to reach well down inside to get the eggs. I noticed some were lying vertically rather than horizontally as you might expect. They were laid right around the tree between all the flanges.

I've also seen birds digging in warm sand on offshore atolls. When I climbed Mt Balbi last year, signs of megapodes were present to over 1000m.

Mike Tarburton  mentions 'eremita' as the species in our area. For an alternative view Schodde uses 'freycinet' in his 1977 paper on Papuasian Ornithology.

Neill mentions that the only book he could find when in Honiara was the small boy scout book. It was the only book except for Mayr's Birds of the South-west Pacific published in 1945. I wrote Birds of the North Solomons published by the Wau Ecology Institute in 1981 (I'm currently rewiting it) The first Field Guide to the area was Doughty's on Birds of The Solomons, Vanuauta and New Caledonia. A major recent work is Mayr and Diamond's Birds of Northern Melanesia.

Don Hadden

has notified the sender that this message has been received.