birding-aus

Re: Pacific's last megapode bird declared saved from extinction

To: <>
Subject: Re: Pacific's last megapode bird declared saved from extinction
From: "Neill Greg" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:46:36 +1000
With reference to Laurie's Posting on the on the I wonder about the birds on Savo Island (the name from my memory) that I sawabout 10 years ago behaving similarly .  Savo is a small active volcano island just of the northern coast of Guadalcanal.  The local population took us to watch the birds come in in the early morning dig a small hole in the warm black sand and deposit one very large egg. The islanders would than dig up the eggs for use as fresh egg for a morning omelette or take it home to incubate for a future house pet and potential fresh meat.

Is not the the Solomons in the Pacific?  Is it the same bird? Does anyone know more details?  At the time I was in Honiara I went to he national library to look at bird books and all they had was a boy scout handbook from about 1970 of a very few birds of the Solomon's.

Greg Neill

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.