birding-aus

Re: Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] *Feeding wild birds*

To: Marian Andrews <>,
Subject: Re: Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] *Feeding wild birds*
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
Marian Andrews <> wrote:

I as a wildlife carer know that people will always be feeding our wildlife.

And so they should, even though it might be a repayment/bribe for stuffing up this beaut land of what was once bountiful wildlife. Think how the major Australian cities were a short ago? say 30 years ago. It answers where many wild birds have gone. Humans strip away their food supply, away goes the wildlife.

I would rather tell them what to feed the birds than them feeding the wrong foods.

Hear hear ... I give out a pamphlet on feeding wild birds to those that want it. It features about 70 per cent on the birds own native foods, for birds of the Mornington Penninsula that is.

People feed Lorikeets seed, when they are nectar feeders?? They lose the bristles on the tips of their tongues by eating just seed.

That is very difficult to do even with an injured indoor lorri? outdoor birds still get other proucts as well as human supplied seed. If the seed was totally of one type of seed then yes I agree with you but it is not generally so, when you purchase a packet of wild bird seed it is a multi mix of seed. Marian, the number of instances that you state above, of this occuring, are?

I also let people know a small parrot mix is best for seed eating birds and you can get a dry nectar powder from pet shops for Lorikeets, honeyeaters and Wattlebirds, they love the dry powder.

Multi vitamins are the mainstay of all healthy diets, both avian and human. Re: your dry powder, I sincerely hope you follow the dry powder
manufacturers instructions?

Bread, honey, sugar, milk, cheese, bacon, processed meats, are ALL VERY BAD for birds.

What is your personal feeling about honeyed water mixes? fed from an eyedropper to a rehabbing RL?

You all would be so suprised to hear what people will feed birds?

I wouldn't Marian despite the massive damage done by humans (as in total land change, as in how it was to how it is now) this land that once was their's. Once upon a time the humans of this land didn't live in houses, didn't drive on roads and railways, didn't fly on airplanes, didn't build massive factories, didn't leave huge scars on and in the ground. They lived with the land instead of slaughtering it.

I have made up an information leaflet for people who ask me. I'd rather they feed something that wont harm the bird too much and they shouldn't feed for long periods otherwise the birds wont look for food for themselves.

I'd be very interested to read this? can you send via email please. I firmly believe in giving them a mix of foods NOT one type all the time.

Yours Sincerely, John