birding-aus

on this list

Subject: on this list
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:17:47 EDT
Hello,
     I would have to agree with Wim that Birding_Aus is the best bird discussion group that I know of, and I couldn't explain why any better than he already did.  I can contrast it a bit with the BirdChat discussion group we have here in the U.S.
     I have been a member of Birdchat for a long time, since the early to mid '90's, and I've seen a number of changes.  The original list owner seems like a laid-back, easy-going kinda guy, and the list at first seemed to me to be much like what Birding_Aus is and remains.  But we on BirdChat got very involved with rules and regulations--I have to admit that I was one of the ones who added my comments to the rule-making group, when comments were being solicited.  It ended up that we now have a long list of unacceptable posts for BirdChat, a list that is strictly enforced by some very, shall we say, attentive, moderators.  Just as an example, I was rebuked in no uncertain terms several years ago for forwarding verbatim a letter from John Flicker, the president of the National Audubon Society, about bird being indicators for global human overpopulation.  Seems that mention of human overpopulation offended some readers, who complained to the listowner, and I was reminded that that topic, and especially my personal comments about it, was not permissible.  (You can see by this that I do not carry resentments for years on end...)  One BirdChat subscriber, Darrell Lee, used to write the most entertaining and and fascinating trip reports, but because he wouldn't stop including political etc. tidbits into them, he was banned from the list--a real loss, in my opinion.
     Again in my opinion, those rules and the control exerted over the BirdChat list has stifled discussion and resulted in posts, for the last few years, being relatively bland and generalized.  I read BirdChat every day, because I live here, and because I learn things.  But I rarely post anything, and more to the point, I feel like there is something missing from what I am reading--something juicy, something more about life.  Birding_Aus is, like my impression of the Aussies themselves, more free and open.  Don't take for granted what you have!
     I am sending this immediately upon reading the posts on this subject.  Wim is right--it is possible that I will be sorry I sent it later, feeling foolish.  Worse, I'm afraid the BirdChat listowner(s) will read it and ban me too from BirdChat (not an unreasonable fear..)
     Here in the northeastern U.S., we are having an unseasonably cold and rainy spring.  The trees and plants are happy and are completely leafed out, which makes the lingering migrants tough to see.  I have managed to see 16 species of migrant wood warblers on my property in the last 6 weeks, but I had to fight for them, dodging raindrops.  I wish I could send some of this water to Oz, where it would be much more appreciated than it is here.  Good birding and best wishes to all,
Bill Benner
Old Brookville, Long Island, NY