birding-aus

Rules for this Mailing List

To: birding aus <>
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:31:22 +1000
Well, here we go again...

Messages sent to the Birding-Aus mailing list SHOULD NOT:

1.    be of a purely commercial nature
2.    contain offensive or inappropriate language
3.    contain attachments of any sort
4.    exceed 20Kb in size
5. include too much of previous a message or thread - just what is needed for clarity 6. stray too far from our main topics: Australian birds, their habitat & conservation 7. contain any sort of personal attacks or statements that could be considered defamatory

Note that all messages are automatically archived on a searchable, public database. This means that whatever you write in your message is in effect PUBLISHED MATERIAL, and as thus is subject to Australian (and possibly various State) defamation laws, as well as other regulations governing published material. The new Californian anti-spam laws may even have some impact on mailing lists such as Birding-Aus.

Membership of Birding-Aus is open to anyone who wants to read and write about our subject matter - Australian wild birds - as long as they follow the guidelines of the mailing list. Abiding by the rules listed above protects the sender and others on the mailing list, not to mention me as list owner! Those who flaunt the rules may put themselves in subsequent legal difficulty: personal attacks and comments on the character or professional standing of anyone else cannot be tolerated.

Anyone who continues to breach the rules may have their address removed from the list and their name blocked from the body & headers of all future messages. Now, we all know how easy it is to create a pseudonym or false ID and an email address to go with it. I think it is about time that I ask all subscribers to use their real name in messages to this list. I don't care what your *email* address looks like - just use your correct name at the end of any posts. Some people share addresses, anyway.

Those who continue to pester people on this mailing list, whether via list messages or in private, or through annoying, childish aliases like "Pipe Down" or "Mangled Godwit" will be warned, then removed and blocked. Further attempts to bypass these controls will be referred to their service providers in the strongest terms. Fortunately, providers are taking their responsibilities more seriously these days.

Thank you

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner