birding-aus

Brown Quails at Pt Kirk WTP

Subject: Brown Quails at Pt Kirk WTP
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:17:22 +1000

On Saturday evening, i popped down for a quick look to Pt Kirk near the WTP. Very few waders were seen, and i did my usual loop to check if the golden plovers were in their normal location.  No sightings of Golden Plovers, but instead four ?Brown? Quails were seen feeding on the edge of the road. I had good looks at them for  about 10 minutes, being right outside my car window. I still couldn't put a positive ID on them, despite having field guide and binoculars in hand. The quails had markings extending over their breast with black stripes/barrings being prominent through the dark chestnut brown plumage.  They had orange legs, and what appeared to be a light white stripe running up half the bill and under its eye.  I couldn't see these markings listed on any quail or button quail in my field guide, but from the plummage and other markings, it seemed to best fit a Brown Quail or possibly Stubble.

Any suggestions what they may be?

Peter