birding-aus

Mallards - Potential Negative Interactions

To: <>
Subject: Mallards - Potential Negative Interactions
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 18:12:44 +1000
Hi Birders,
I would like to take up Brent Stephenson's comments about Mallard invasions as I believe that maybe it is too late to halt the invasion!

Here on the NSW Central Coast in Brisbane Water, I carry out a winter and summer waterbird count around a portion of the foreshores of Brisbane Water which is known to be the most attractive areas for migratory waders. However all other waterbirds are counted. Only about a third of the area is counted that would be suitable for Mallards, which tend to predominate in the canal estates and foreshores which are the most adapted by humans, generally as foreshore residential areas.

My counts have been going since July 1997, with the lowest countb in 1998 of 56, but in Feb 2002 I counted 257 pure Mallards, compared to small numbers of Black Duck, Wood Duck and Chestnut Teal. Areas around Woy Woy Bay, the waterfront from Koolewong to Point Clare, Saratoga, Kincumber and most of St Hubert's Island are not counted. I would conservatively put the population at 600+ Mallards in Brisbane Water. In Wyong Creek & Ourimbah Creek residential waterfronts, both located within Wyong Shire (these creeks flow into Tuggerah Lake) I would suggest that the Mallard population here is 100+

Many of these birds are fed by locals, they nest in waterfront gardens and in the many retirement village gardens which often have water frontage and are a common duck in the streets. They are very much an urban bird in the St Hubert Island canal estate.

Around Brisbane Water, the Mallards make you feel that you are in the UK or urban waterfront areas of New Zealand.

Alan Morris
Central Coast group, Birding NSW